#COSMO69

Sunday, June 10, 2012

3 Scorecards kept Bradley's promise

“I’m ready to shock the world.” This was the statement made by American boxer Timothy Bradley Jr. last week, adding that he was ready to do “whatever it takes” to seize Manny Pacquiao’s World Boxing Organization welterweight title.

But the shock in his fight with the Filipino hero did not come from Bradley’s performance but from the scores given by the judges.

The undefeated challenger ended Pacquiao’s 15-fight winning streak via a controversial split decision 113-115, 115-113, and 115-113 Sunday morning (Manila time).

The Associated Press reports that the decision was roundly booed by the crowd at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

‘Lutong Makaw’

As I write these words, many Filipino boxing fans are still expressing their anger and dismay over Bradley’s win, feeling that they were robbed—the same feeling that Juan Manuel Marquez had when he lost to Pacquiao via majority decision on November 12.

Did the two pro-Bradley judges see something that those who just relied on their TV sets could not see, or was it just another money-making opportunity for the promoters? (We all know that the defeat of someone as big as Pacquiao would definitely call for a rematch.)

Did Pacquiao simply fail to give his best this time, distracted by the loss of the Boston Celtics during the necessary Game 7 against the Miami Heat, or was it just so difficult and frustrating for the promoters to stain Bradley’s flawless record?

Is the reported November rematch still necessary for Pacquiao or is the defeat a sign for him to retire from this dirty prizefight?

Did we just see a trade-off so Marquez could finally say “We’re the same now?”

I can’t tell. All I know is that Manny Pacquiao is the real winner this time.
Quick Quotes

"I thought I won the fight. I didn't think he was as good as everyone says he was. I didn't feel his power."
— Timothy Bradley

"I did my best. I guess my best wasn't good enough." 
Manny Pacquiao

"I've never been as ashamed of the sport of boxing as I am tonight." 

Bob Arum
Follow me on Twitter @Ralphabet.

3 Feedback:

Anonymous said...

dinaya tlga!!! i thnk he should resign

Trev said...

www.sportsballuk.co.uk The game is bent, It is not a sport any longer, just like football, its a BUSINESS. To hell with real sports fans, as long as the few can make more money.

Trev

Anonymous said...

i agree with trev...

Post a Comment